I'm so swamped today at work but I wanted to take a minute to post something. I was thinking to myself, "How you gone start a blog and not even write in it?!" LOL So here's a little something...
First off, my prayers go out to everyone affected by the tragedy at VATech. It was senseless and so many lives were destroyed. I can't imagine what those families are going through. God bless you all...
My question is this, though...if they knew he was mentally ill and called him "a danger to others"(I read that in the newspaper this morning) why did they let him remain enrolled in school??? Could this have been prevented??? *smh*
I was watching Oprah the other day and they were, of course, discussing the Imus situation and whether hip-hop played a role in what happened...blah blah blah.
While I don't think hip-hop should be blamed, I do wish that some rappers would re-think their lyrical content. For some, every other word is bitch this, hoe that...don't you men have mothers? Sisters? Daughters? Wives? Are they bitches and hoes? Come on now...
I cannot sit here and say there aren't some lyrically suspicious songs that I jam to from time to time BUT there are some artists who I refuse to listen to. i.e. Devin the Dude, Too Short, etc.
And the videos...lawrd! I happened to catch that one Pretty (Ugly) Ricky video where they are singing (the jury's still out on that) about talking dirty to some girl on the phone (I CANNOT think of the piece of shit song right now) and they show a little teenage girl laying on the bed squeezing a pillow between her legs! What. The. Fuck. Where are her parents and how many times can I smack the hell out of them???
Between that and all the other disgusting titties and ass I am subjected to every time I happen to look at 106 & Park, it's made me not even want to look at videos!
They talked about that as well on Oprah and D and I ended up having a convo about it. He says it's not just the rappers...the women appearing in these videos should be held accountable as well. I agree. These ladies choose to dance around with their ass hanging out, getting champagne sprayed in their face and credit cards slid through their butt cheeks (ugh). I hear all the stories about how it'll be their "big break" into modeling or acting or what have you...but you can't pay me enough to be disrespected like that. D says the majority of women don't care about the disrespect and are all about the money. I can't agree with that. I do think A LOT of women feel this way but not the majority. I shudder to think that such a vast amount of women could have such low self-worth. I told him it really all begins with the breakdown of the Black family...but that there is a whole 'nother post. LOL!
What if these women one day woke up and said, "I refuse to be a video hoe any longer!!". What if they just stopped and were only in videos that uplifted women or at least didn't portray them as worthless pieces of nothing? How POWERFUL would that be? Just think, these dudes would actually have to be *CREATIVE*.
Will this happen in my lifetime? Probably not...but it makes me smile just to think about it.
Alright, got work to do. Later!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment