Update to the story I posted about a few weeks ago. Reginald Potts has been charged with first degree murder in the Nailah Franklin case. I knew in my heart that he killed her. This is not a surprise at all but it's just so crazy to me. As I told yall, a good friend of mine recently had a child by this "man" so this story hit close to home. Couple that with the fact that when I stepped up to defend her, he called me at my job and threatened me. For those that didn't know, that is the reason why I removed the picture of my face from this blog as well as the link to my birthday list with my real name.
Anyway, here's the latest news story. Ladies, I beg you, PLEASE BE CAREFUL!
In the last two days of Nailah Franklin's life, Reginald Potts stalked her, lurking in the hallways and parking garage of her condo building, prosecutors alleged Monday.
Surveillance tape of Potts in the building, statements of witnesses, including his friends, and cell phone records all point to him as Franklin's killer, authorities said.
Potts, 31, could face the death penalty if convicted of murdering Franklin, 28. At his first court appearance since being charged, he was ordered held without bail by Judge Don Panarese.
"It was premeditated," First Assistant State's Attorney Robert Milan said after the hearing. "This defendant went through a lot of trouble and time in order to take Ms. Franklin out to an abandoned area -- a desolate area -- and take her life."
Franklin, a pharmaceutical rep for Eli Lilly, had an "on-and-off dating relationship" with Potts, Milan told Panarese. But Franklin tried to end it, sources said.
In early September, Franklin sent an e-mail to friends discussing Potts' criminal past, Milan said. When Potts found out, he made threatening calls to her. "He told her he could have her erased," Milan said.
On Sept. 10, Franklin filed a police report. She also told friends she was afraid of Potts and gave a friend her e-mail password "in case anything happened to her," Milan said. She was last seen alive Sept. 18.
Potts told police he hadn't seen Franklin since August. But several residents at Franklin's University Village condo saw Potts "lurking in the victim's hallway and in the parking garage on the evenings of Sept. 16th and 17th," Milan said. Surveillance video from the building also shows Potts on Sept. 17 and 18, Milan said.
"That stuff is really hard to deal with -- to know that she was considered prey," said Franklin's sister, Lehia Franklin Acox.
Cell phone records show Potts was within a half mile of Franklin's condo on Sept. 18, in spite of his story he was elsewhere, Milan said.
Cell records also trace Potts heading south on the Dan Ryan shortly after 7 p.m., a time when he claimed he was at Target with friends, Milan said. The records show Potts and Franklin were both near 159th Street in Calumet City, where her pharmaceuticals and jewelry were later found, he said.
The cell records depict Potts and Franklin traveling east in Calumet City at the same time that night, and show them both in the area where Franklin's body was later found, Milan said.
After dumping Franklin's body, Potts kept her cell phone and drove her car to Hammond, Ind., where he left it, Milan said.
Potts then called one of his friends who was at Target and said "he was stranded and needed a ride," Milan said. Two friends drove to Hammond to pick him up. On the way back, Potts made three aborted 911 calls from Franklin's cell phone to make it look like she was still alive, Milan said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
This is so sad...My heart goes out to her family...and also the child of this monster!
When I read that they charged him for it, I was relieved. Relieved first because now her family can have some kind of closure and second, that he is off of the streets.
There are so many African-American women that disappear and because of lack of media coverage.. they are forgotten and usually the killer is never discovered. My heart goes out to the families of Nailah Franklin, Latasha Norman and Stepha Henry(still missing).
Good Post Mon.
What a sick bastard! It literally makes me sick to my stomach just to think about it and the fact that he thought he was being slick with all of that cell phone stuff. I don't even know what else to say. I'm sorry.
Oh my god Monie! So I go back a few weeks and read your original post about the murdered young lady. And I have to be honest with you. I had not heard about this until today. It's not that I don't listen to the news, but I live in Philadelphia. And while I love philly dearly, there is always some shyt going on here. Woman come up missing every single week. And not just grown woman, but young girls too. Sexual assults, shooting, stabbing, dismembering, corpse being fed to dogs, torching... It's so much crap going on in this city. That being said, I'm gonna come back to this particular murder case and your post. So I'm like, "let me do a google search on this n**** to see what he looks like!"
Monie.............................................dude still has an active myspace page up!
And not one that is "fan made" he's actually made post lately proclaiming his innocence. (I know he's not typing on the computer while locked up, but still, the words seem to be coming FROM him)
i.e " I REFUSE TO LET THIS DESTROY ME! " & "They are trying to rattle me"
There are videos of his kids, and videos of him being questioned by police. I'm guessing that you already know this, but just incase you didn't and/or those are pictures of your good friends child up there...I wanted to bring this to your attention.
(Also, feel free to erase this. I won't take offence. He don't need any more attention)
@ Nic:
Girl...you know I know all about that. Not only has he been on his MySpace proclaiming his innocence but he has been on another website doing the same thing.
A lot of people believe that he has people posting on his MySpace for him though...he's been in jail during the times it says he is logged on.
Fortunately, those are not my friend's kids on his page...those are his ex-wife's daughters.
This whole case is a hot ass mess...he has done everything he can to try and destroy my friend's life. They need to put him UNDER the jail.
Hey again,
I'm so glad that those weren't pictures of your friends children up there. From a safety standpoint. Cause I wouldn't want anyone to know about THAT family connection.
He's a real MUVAFU**ER though! I mean I was sitting at my computer reading his words and I was like "Monie's right....He's a complete sociopath" It's disgusting. I wanted to scream "Stop! just stop with the bull shit!", but I’m at work. Then, those smug lil’ pictures displaying him in an (I guess he was going for) affluent light! Pluhease! Is that really necessary? I mean, are those the images a normal person (proclaiming their innocence) would post? How bout a little humility. This is not VH1 making of an innocent man! This is the real gottdam world. And YES!!!!! I wish I would have seen ONE MOTHERF***** MYSPACE FRIEND on that bitches page!!!!!!!! Okay…I’m ranting, sorry. This just really got me heated.
Again, I'm so sorry for Nailah, her family, and for your friend. No ones perfect, we all make mistakes. So I hope your friend isn’t going too hard on herself. In the end she still has her life. This has been a good warning,
Thank you thank you thank you,
Nic
Damn...
I hate creepy stories like this, but I thank you for putting it out there. I take stalkers and men with stalker-like tendencies VERY seriously! More women should.
I read about this over @ Princess Dominique's blog. Dude posted on her blog about how he was innocent and everything. And you mean to tell me he actually made a threat against you too, Monie?
Dammmmnnnn.
I remember you telling me about him calling your job...this dude is a mess... your home girl needs to cut all ties to him immediately. Hate to say it but, If he did it once, he could try to do it again....
This makes my stomach ache.
I know I'm hella late (I'm trying my best to get caught up) but OH MY GOD!! That is SO SCARY. You just never consider that something like that could happen to someone you know or are associated with and most definitely not you. Smh, my prayers go out to the victims family, your friend and her child.
Post a Comment