Because I transferred from a inner-city university to a suburban university, I don't really see too many Black faces on campus. It's not an issue. I don't feel any kind of way about being surrounded by White people. "We" are only 2 deep here in my office. We're all just co-workers.
On the first day of this class I'm taking on Tuesday evenings, I noticed that I was the only brown face in the room. It wasn't the first time this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last. Again, it really wasn't an issue.
This class is about different cultures and views of humanity. It has been really interesting so far and I have actually learned a lot.
Yesterday, though...whew.
We briefly discussed the papers we had just turned in and watched a short internet clip on what country was considered the happiest in the world. (Denmark).
Afterwards, the Prof. asked how many of us in the class listened to hip-hop. I felt a knot in my stomach. Why...I don't know. I and about 3 other people raised our hands. He then told us we were going to watch a documentary about hip-hop. He warned us that the language would be vulgar.
No kidding. Imagine being Black and sitting in a classroom full of White people and every 4th word is nigga this and nigga that. I didn't realize how tightly I had my hands clasped until the doc. was over.
All in all, it was your basic doc. about hip-hop. Why rappers feel the need to have the video "models", why they feel the need to have the jewelry and the cars and the money. The gangsta posturing and homo-eroticism. The misogynistic lyrics and denigration of women. Oh...the lyrics. I cringed every time I heard nigga, pussy, faggot, bitch, hoe...it was really the most uncomfortable I have been in a long time.
The director went to a recent BET Spring Bling to tape. We saw women walking around in bikini tops and panties (basically). We saw Black men being interviewed saying that these women were bitches and hoes just on the strength of how they were dressed. We saw Black men taking pictures of women's behinds and video-taping up their skirts and dresses. We saw Black men and women about to come to blows because the men felt that skimpy clothing gives them a pass to touch women wherever, however, whenever.
At one point, the director encountered a young White man from Ohio who was blasting hip-hop music in his truck. When asked how he felt about hip-hop music and lyrics, he commented and called Black people "colored". I groaned. Loudly. The prof. looked at me and so did several other classmates. Are we still at this place? Colored? Really?
They showed various parts of Nelly's "Tip Drill" video. I could barely watch. I've never seen the video but I've certainly heard about it. I am still really speechless about that. I felt nauseous when I heard whispers around the room. "Oh, wow." "Oh, my." "Jesus!" I was utterly embarassed.
The director asked a group of White college students how they felt about hip-hop. One young lady said that she grew up in upper middle class suburbia and watching BET and listening to hip-hop was the best way, in her opinion, to learn about Black culture. She said that she'd never experience "the hood" and how better to be able to see it than through music videos.
As foolish as that sounds, I know that seeing what the media portrays as "Black" is how other ethnic groups feel they come to know about our culture. Why is this still the norm in 2008?
The director interviewed various artists for this doc. The guys in The Clipse wouldn't even look him in the eye when he was asking questions about why they rap about the things they do. Busta Rhymes walked out the room when the topic came to homosexuality and why
*sigh* Why do I feel so...bad about this? Why should I feel embarassed and ashamed...like I was airing my dirty laundry in a classroom full of Whites? Why did I feel like all eyes were on me when the doc. ended? How did I all of a sudden become the voice of Black culture? Why did I feel this was the case?
Listen, I love hip-hop. Can you understand how much it is a part of my life, how deeply it's ingrained in the soul of almost every Black person I know? How many of you can remember how you felt the first time you heard LL Cool J's "I Need Love"?
When I'm alone in my room
Sometimes I stare at the wall
In the back of my mind
I hear my conscious call
Oh my God...De La Soul, Digable Planets, Jungle Brothers, Beastie Boys, Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, Grandmaster Flash...I could go on and on. All of that is ME.
Is it right to claim the good...and not the bad? Is it enough to decide to pass on buying the CD's of artists who want me to "bend over, let me see it" but bob my head if I happen to catch that song on the radio?
Damn. I love hip-hop. Does hip-hop love me?
17 comments:
Welcome to the debate that I have with myself on a daily basis.
I LOVE hip-hop. Deep within the core of my being. Which is why I've had to learn to separate the Hip-Hop Industry from Hip-Hop Culture. For they are not one in the same. That degradation for a quick buck shit? Industry. Artists who speak to real life experiences? Culture.
So to answer your question, the Industry doesn't love anybody. It loves money. But the culture lives on in those of us with the patience and diligence to seek it out in the midst of all the garbage.
(I wrote a post about this awhile ago on my hip-hop blog.)
http://lahiphopdiva.blogspot.com/2007/08/divorcing-industry-to-marry-culture.html
Girl, thanks for commenting and helping me make sense of all that's swimming around in my head. I have always felt the internal struggle about hip hop and its lyrics and what it portrays. But to share that with my White classmates...that's a whole other beast. I'm gonna check out that post. Thanks!
WOW...I have to 100% agree with SBC. Money talks! And as long as that shit sells, it will continue to be pushed.
What's sad is that as long as that negativity is mass marketed, more and more people will emulate that behavior.
I am still cringing about you sitting in that class with all of THEM while that played. Just wow!
What can I really say? I spit ultra vulgar words daily. However, there is a method to tha madness. My taste in Hip-Hop is a muthafucka, I fucks with The Cool Kids, U-N-I, Pacific Division, Compton's Righteous and Ghostface Killah oh and I forgot J-Dilla (RIP).
You know what's funny is I was thinking about this myself. I was listening to Lupe Fiasco and actually thinking about what he was saying then I compared him to some of the other artists that I listen to. I agree with Skinny about industry and culture, but I also think there's a difference between hip hop and rap. I think of rap as the shit you hear everyday on the radio talkin all that bend over bullshit, and hip hop actually has a message. There's not much of that these days. I don't even listen to the radio or watch music videos anymore cuz it's all the same. I also ask myself if I should be ashamed of what I listen to when I'm around white people. But why? We shouldn't have to feel that way. That's a whole post in itself, lol. Anyway, I don't know. If you take what Skinny said into consideration, then yes, hip-hop culture loves us, but the industry does not.
Wow! I struggle with my love of Hip Hop too. Like you, I grew up with the music and it has been a serious part of me. However, most of today's hip hop is something that I can't support. Matter of fact, I have only bought one rap CD in the last six months. I really think I've just outgrown the topics that are being discussed.
Girl I rustle with this conflict on the daily.
I was on my way to work the other day and almost went in to epileptic seizure and busted a speaker when I turned the station and heard Ice Cube saying "Rule Number two...Don't trust no body..." Then I had to put my self in check when I realized the next bar was"especially a bitch wit a hooker's body."
Here's where I differ from most people. I don't care what you rap about as long as you have skills. You could rap about the most ignorant ish around and as long as you sound like you put some thought into it, I'll respect it.
As far as the Spring Bling, its not worse than the white people's Spring Break. You ever hang around drunk white people, its just like hanging around drunk black people, except they say dude more often.
I gave up the debate long ago, and just decided to roll with what I like and mock what I don't. Great post.
I totally agree with Mrs Hip Hop....What she, and most of the other commenters have said is on point.
This post has started some serious debates in my head.....damn...!
Good post Monie
@ J: Girl, cringing is not even the word! I was just...I don't even know!
@ boss: Thanks for stopping by again. I promise I'm gonna get over to your spot.
@ e: I can't remember the last time I watched a video. When they really started to make me feel bad as a woman...I knew it was time to give it up.
@ skool: Hey, thanks for checking me out and commenting! I think I'm with you...I have outgrown a lotta the bullshit that I hear on the radio.
LMAO @ jane!!!!
@ Rah-Shan: Thanks, hon. LMAO @ dude! I say that shit. Regularly.
@ Mill: Thanks, girlie. The struggle, man...it's tough.
heyyyyyyy monie!!! i just read your comment on my last post and wanted to return the love. you too are added to the blogroll...i love how my family just keeps growing!!! your blog by the way, too effin' cute.
i think hip-hop and i have a very love/hate relationship. i say that because it degrades as a (black) woman. what's funny is the even tho' i know the song has no substance, i often find myself dancing to it and/or learning the words. wack.
-karrie b.
Damn Monie, this was a pretty good post. I didn't know you were up on hip hop music like that. I like how you incorporated life into your post. That gave insight.
Honestly, I don't think anything that is done for money has any love for those of us who appreciate it, even if these rappers weren't getting paid to create hip hop or rap or hustle music.
Do you remember how back in the days, the gangsta rappers would throw that "we are only informing people on what's really going on out here" argument in someone's face?
Well, that ish got old quick, didn't it?
I was waiting for you to list Monie Love as one of your favorite rappers.
I know that had to have felt uncomfortable for you sitting in class listening to the language. lol. Sorry.
*jumping up & down @ the fact that me and SBC think the same way, when it came to this post*
LOL.
@ karrie: Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, girl!!!! Thanks for coming over!
LMAO @ Don! And how could I forget Monie Love??? I obviously love her!
great post. i felt like i was right in the middle of that classroom...
I don't do hip-hop, and no, it don't care nuthin' 'bout us, really. Money and booty make the world revolve, Monie. Obama's gonna have serious problems with this hippity-hoppity generation once he takes office. Reference the good doctor Bill Cosby on the issue. Truth is truth.
Hip Hop never stopped loving us. The main reason that the Golden Age was golden, is because folks rapped about all kinds of shit. They didn't all have talent, but they all had fun. Now, no one is diverse and they all are tough and will wet yo shirt up with a 9 or ak or some other shit. We lost our ability to be objective. At some point it went from being ok to rap about shoes and chillin' to having to prove some lifestyle. Anything outside of that gets labeled as bullshit. Example, Souljah Boy has music that I don't care for, but that doesn't make it less valid. Dude is having fun. I won't compare him to old school rappers, but it's clear to see that he is having a good time.
Then you have the problem with the way women are portrayed in hip hop. That is a reflection of society. Women are treated like sex objects in rock n roll too, but no one comes to the rescue there. Should hip hop come to the rescue? Sure, we all should. I think its just as destructive to act like the word "ho" originated on the corner of Sedgewick and Cedar. It is a term that has been in America as long as America has been in the world.
There are problems with society, point blank. Hip hop is getting its ass beat right now as Don Imus looks and laughs in the shadows of the spotlight he moved. The media continues to take shots while they ride Common to the bank.
Then again, using black (culture, work, etc.) to make money isn't something America is not used to.
Post a Comment